top of page
  • Belrose-Terrey Hills Raiders


A disappointing day with regards to results, but I’m genuinely proud of our attitude, effort and character. Despite being engaged against a team with a toxic attitude as well as racist and homophobic banter, we held our heads high and gave a good account of ourselves. The Ressies were unfortunate not to take points and the Firsts came up against an inform striker who couldn’t miss. By the admission of the opposition, their striker has been the difference for them this year and has saved their points on many occasions. It’s also impressive that we’ve been able to secure goals from 14 different players across both grades so far this year. We go again next weekend against Curl Curl to wrap up the first half of the season.


Man of the Match: Samuel Kearney

2 points: Bradley Moody

1 point: Mauritzio Capkovic

Goal Scorer(s): Samuel Kearney

A clash against the league leaders was always set to be a tough match up. The Firsts team looked hungry and were keen to get off to a flying start, and what a start! in the opening 4 minutes, Sam was unleashed down the wing on a rapid counter attack and after getting past the defensive line, he slotted home the opening goal. We continued to press in the opening half and created a few more opportunities early on. Beacon then started to get a few balls in behind our midfield to their striker, who proved to be the difference on the day. His opening goal came around 20 minutes into the half, with a shot from 20 yards out, into the top right hand corner. The second came 10 minutes later with another hit into the top left hand corner. We continued to press, but were unable to find another goal and wrapped up the half 2-1 down.

The second half was far more open and both teams created several opportunities. Tensions were high across the park, and eventually bubbled into a heated exchange between Mauritizio and Jake Springfeld, who miraculously fell to the floor clutching his face, despite no-one being near to poor lad. Once again, it seemed the BTH jersey continues to be coveted by many with Beacon players desperately holding onto our jerseys and trying to take them. As the game continued, we pressed higher up the pitch and created a few more options to attack, however we were unable to get that all important finish. With the change in formation and pushing for the equaliser, we were left exposed at the back and with two minutes of play left, Beacon hit a speculative shot from outside the box, which ricocheted off a defender and went into the bottom corner.


Man of the Match: Andrew Lyon

2 points: Jake Carden

1 point: Tom West

Goal Scorer(s): Ryan Haworth

It has been the story of the Ressies season as we were again very unlucky not to win against Beacon Hill and played well in difficult conditions during what felt like gale force winds. The strategy was strong prior to the start of the match with Neil and the team debating the formation given we knew beacon was playing 3-5-2. The plan came into effect at the beginning of the first half with the team reshaping the formation to adapt based on Beacon’s structure.

With a bit of back and forth at the start of the match and the wind blowing the ball towards our net during the first half, there was a lot of Portuguese being spoken by the opposition which was unlucky that Luca wasn’t on the pitch to help us translate and infiltrate their plans. A very weak Beacon chip into the box which went out of bounds appeared innocuous, however the ref appeared so see something that no one including the opposition saw and gave a very poor penalty explaining that someone’s shirt was pulled (I bet it was just the wind). Unfortunately the penalty kick was a good one and went past Tom West’s (Or Tim East if you go by Facebook) diving save attempt.

The BTH boys didn’t put their heads down and played well with various attacks by the forwards, with our hero captain Chuddy back playing with us again and keeping the midfield solid and under control and Luke making many runs down the right hand corridor. The defence also stayed strong and limited Beacons attacking potency. The first half ended with Beacon in the lead 1-0.

In the second half the team kept up the momentum with the wind at our back and after making three match-saving saves, Tom came face to face with a pass back ball that took a rouge bounce and instead of the ball being blasted into space, the ball ricocheted off his boot and trickled towards our goal, which the Beacon attacker latched onto and put it away.

The lads continued to push and stay positive, and kept their heads up. The team stepped up the intensity in the final 15 minutes and started peppering the goal. The Gaffa stepped up with an free kick 10 metres outside the box, and a perfectly floated ball dipped in between the defensive line and the keeper and was met by an onrushing Glyn who put in a cheeky stab at the ball. Unfortunately, the keeper was equal to it and was able to save the ball. Continued pressure from every angle continued to create chances and with 5 minutes to go, Ryan stepped up to continue his fantastic run of goals, was relentless chasing the ball down in a goal mouth scrap, and he slammed in a beautiful finish past the Beacon goal keeper to bring the score to 2-1.

The play in the last 15 minutes was inspirational and the amount of chances we created was great to see and caused fear in the Beacons eyes. In the final minute of the match, a corner almost resulted in a goal with a header by Jakey narrowly sailing over the bar, but it was not to be with another close game leaving us wanting. Looking forward to bringing the intensity we showed at the end of the game into the whole game next week and finally get the win we deserve.

Thanks to Andrew the Marathon Runner for the write-up

league table


56 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page