top of page
  • Belrose-Terrey Hills Raiders

Match Report | All Age Division 2 vs Beacon Hill

We’ve added 4 more points to the tally, retained a top 4 position in the Ressies and have moved clear in 1st position at the top of the table! Let’s keep it going! RESSIES The Ressies faced a Beacon Hill side on Saturday sitting just below us on the table, so it was vital to get a good result against them. They came out strongly just like the first time we played them, but some very good pressing by us in defence put them under pressure and gave us a lot of chances early on, we just couldn’t put them away. We went into halftime 0-0 after a solid half. Second half followed a similar story, we had a clear dominance of possession and more shots at goal, but we were just short. A break in play from Aidan’s injury left for an intense finish, as we pressed hard for the win but the game was to stay 0-0. Overall it was a great result, not only another clean sheet but the draw meant we kept the 3 point buffer above Beacon Hill who are just below us in 5th. If we can continue building momentum going into the end of the season we can secure our top 4, bring on Forrey next week! FIRSTS Both teams started the match with a level of intensity that reflected the joint 1st place position on the table. Beacon came out the stronger of the two teams and launched a few decent shots on goal, which were magnificently saved by Big Mike in goals! We settled ourselves after the opening 10 minutes and started to dominate the midfield through Lachy and our newest player Jason (welcome to the squad)! 20 minutes in and Mauritizio battled hard on the left and after turning the Beacon boys inside out, he unexpectedly crossed a beautifully positioned ball to the opposite side of the box, which Kieran latched onto and volleyed into the back of the net. Both teams created a few more chances, and unfortunately, one of the Beacon strikers slipped through and equalised half an hour into the first half. 5 minutes before half time, a corner kick was centered in the box, and a melee ensued … the ball ricocheted off the cross bar, hit the keeper, hit the post, hit a Beacon player, was swiped at by one of our boys and then eventually, Kieran headed it in from half a metre away with a diving header! 2-1 at the break! An inspiring team talk from the gaffa saw the lads focused and keen to retain the lead. It was a very tight game from there and the mounting pressure was showing. The Beacon crowd were getting more and more frustrated as their team were unable to capitalise on a few good plays. A couple more narrow misses and the crowd and the Beacon bench were howling at the Referee. With 15 minutes to go, a trademark long throw from the Captain, glanced off a Beacon defender’s head and he scored an own goal. In the final 10 minutes, Beacon pushed almost every player into our half, desperately trying to get something from the game and it paid off with 5 minutes to go, and they scored their second goal. A tightening of defensive shape and we held them off for the last 5 minutes to seal all 3 points!

14 views0 comments
bottom of page